10 October 2011 ~ 1 Comment

Moving from Another Country and renting in Ontario?

Moving is always stressful and the challenge is even greater when you are relocating to another country. Renting in Ontario is an excellent option.

MoneySense magazine’s 2011 list of the best places to live in Canada features five Ontario cities in the top 20, more than any other Canadian province. The five Ontario cities selected by MoneySense for their top 20 are Ottawa (#1), Burlington (#3), Kingston (#4), London (# 14), Guelph (#18), Thunder Bay (#20). In addition, Toronto is the fourth most liveable city in the world according to The Economist’s 2011 ranking of global cities!

Also Canada is better at helping expats settle into their new life than most other Western countries. The Canadian government funds and promotes programmes and provides special assistance for newcomers. Whether you are moving to London, Mississauga, Ottawa, Toronto or any other Ontario city then there are “settlement agencies” to help you adjust to your new life. Their services are free.

As you settle in there will be four big issues to deal with: housing, employment, healthcare, and education.

  • Housing: Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) – the Government of Canada’s national housing agency has informative booklets on housing for newcomers in a range of languages. Also, the Ontario Ministry of Housing and Municipalities has a useful website (see “More Information” below). If you are seeking rental properties, then you can search online resources like rentspot.com
  • Healthcare: Ontario’s publicly funded healthcare system is among the best in the world. Ontario residents are eligible for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), a provincially funded medical plan that provides free, essential hospital and medical care to all Ontario residents. But you do not qualify for this until you have been in the province for three months. Make sure you have health insurance to cover the interim and use the three months to research the OHIP application procedure.
  • Employment: Whichever Ontario city you have moved into – Ottawa, London, Toronto or any other ­– the newcomer settlement agencies will provide you with information and assistance to find a job. There is also Employment Ontario – a government service that offers helpful training programmes and employment services (see ‘More Information’).
  • Education:  In Ontario, public elementary and secondary schools are free of charge. The Ontario Ministry of Education website (see ‘More Information’) is full of valuable information about the education system including preschool, early learning, elementary, secondary postsecondary and adult learning opportunities.

More Information















One Response to “Moving from Another Country and renting in Ontario?”

  1. Charlie 30 October 2011 at 8:17 am Permalink

    There are a lot of things to think about when moving, but that is even more true when moving to another country. Fortunately there are so many resources and services that can help you with how to find an apartment in Canada, health care and getting a job.